- One-third of high school graduates never read another book for the rest
of their lives. Many do not even graduate from high school.
- 58% of the US adult population never reads another book after high school.
- 42% of college graduates never read another book.
- 80% of US families did not buy or read a book last year.
- 70% of US adults have not been in a bookstore in the last five years.
- 57% of new books are not read to completion.
- $1.7 billion is spent annually on textbooks. $78 billion is spent on
alcohol, $37 billion on cigarettes and $6 billion on pet food. (I wonder how much is spent on videos, cable TV and gaming devices…)
- 1992: 20% of adults in the U.S. read at or below the fifth grade level.