Every now and then I like to take a look at my Google Reader trends (that is, the RSS feeds that I am reading the most in a particular month via my Google Reader – watch this ridiculously great Common Craft video on RSS if you don't get what I'm talking about) to get an idea of where my brain is at.
This month is INCREDIBLY different than any other month I've noticed in maybe years – which I'm thinking is probably indicative of work/life stress and me escaping into my Reader in the evenings to look at happy, crafty things.
Also, times be tight. Instead of shopping blogs, I'm looking at 'sewing my own darn stuff' blogs. Instead of foodies blogs, I'm reading 'cooking with the crap that's leftover in your fridge' blogs. Instead of movie and/or gossip blogs, I'm soaking in 'doing more with less' blog posts. Very telling.
So, in lieu of my usual geeky Web marketing, data mining/visualization and global political Blogs – I present you with my top 5 Google Reader 'let's hug and feel awesome' blog loves of the moment:
- The Crafty Crow – a KILLER blog for crafty parents who want awesome creative ideas and projects to share with their kiddos. Even better than their super posts are all of the other crafty/family blogs this site has introduced me to.
- Whip up – A super handcraft-centric project blog. Lots of great green ideas with strong sewing/knitting/crochet tips. FUN!
- CRAFT Magazine – the electronic Blog-love version of one of my favorite magazines. Oh wait, the magazine formerly known as a print publication and now just electronic. Because they hate me. And the whole recession thing. And such as. South Africa.
- Dooce – I think I scrolled through a year's worth of posts on this blog one day to look for something someone (who shall remain nameless) mentioned. Not counting it. Take that Google Reader.
- Comments on my Flickr photos – it makes me happy when people have something to say about my Flickr stream. Especially when it has to do with my incredibly awesome short person. Or cupcakes.
- Sew, Mama, Sew – a BEAUTIFUL blog dedicated to gorgeous fabric and sewing/quilting projects. Love love love love the community of crafters on this site.
So, I've got to ask, have YOUR reading habits changed lately? Is your Google Reader brain in a different spot than usual these days?